Chemical peels are one of the oldest cosmetic procedures. Ancient Romans and Egyptians used them for royalty who desired smoother, more beautiful skin. Chemical peels are one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the world today because they offer nearly immediate results and can be performed as an outpatient procedure.
Why you should get a chemical peel:
As you get older, your skin begins to show the effects of the environment, genetics and the aging process. A chemical peel is a safe and effective treatment for uneven skin pigmentation, facial blemishes, acne scars, sun-damaged skin, “crow’s feet,” pre-cancerous growths and wrinkles – leaving your skin with a younger, healthy glow.
Here’s how it works: A peel is a controlled injury to your skin which causes skin cells to separate and exfoliation to begin. An acid solution is applied to your skin; it removes the damaged, outer layers and smooths and enhances your skin’s texture. Dr. Gurley and her team formulate the ingredients and the strength of the peel; each one is tailored to your individual skin type. A skilled and knowledgeable medical esthetician is necessary to properly diagnose and treat you with a customized treatment plan.
What can you expect?:
- Your chemical peel will be performed in our medical office where Dr. Gurley practices.
- Once the treatment is completed, your skin will be covered with a protective ointment.
- Five to ten days after the procedure, your new pink skin will emerge.
- The pink color will fade but your skin will be sensitive. Minimal sun exposure and the use of sunblock is a must!
- The amount of time it takes for full recovery varies with each patient.
- Your skin will be sensitive for one to two weeks.
- Chemical peels can be combined with other treatments.